Wednesday, March 17, 2010

My translation of a Russian poem

Love

A tickling of lips and the cool nip of teeth
fire wanders in the shadows of our bodies,
sweat between breasts…and this is love?
And this is what you so wanted?

Yes! Passion such that my eyes darken!
But night passes light as a bird…
and I thought that love was a wine
on which I could be forever drunk.

Dmitry Kedrin - translated by me.

How do you spend your Wednesday nights? (And if you say doing it rather than writing about it I don't want to hear it!)

5 comments:

Scatterdad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scatterdad said...

Oh, wow. Um. Nice translation, really. I am so familiar with the original Russian version that it took me a while to get the whole new "English" thing. Whew. Is it warm in here? Wednesday nights can be slow.

I had to re-post due to a typo... you undertsnad... :)

Anonymous said...

I love your blog darlink. xo Petra

Ladybird said...

Petra! Please, speak to me of horses.
Many whole years have passed. How are you?

petraklimes@tiscali.it said...

The horses say “hi” with their prehensile lips and breath that smells of freshly cut grass. I think it must be 15 years or so since I saw you last. It was downtown Vancouver and you were reading the Unbearable Lightness of Being. You have made guest appearances every so often in my dreams so actually I feel as though we have always kept in touch somewhat. It kind of makes sense, no? The other night you were painting what you referred to as a biblical scene on my kitchen wall but thankfully, it was all marmots or ferrets in robes standing around in sandals. The next morning, I thought to look on the internet to see if I might find you and thus I found your blog and I was filled with glee. Please forgive my intrusion into your life, all is well with me but I just felt the need to let you know how delightful you are - bright and articulate and intelligent and funny and much as I would expect of the Lisa I fondly remember. xo Petra